Visa Details

U.S. Citizens
The UK government has created two categories of student visas. Please read each category THOROUGHLY to decipher which visa you will need for your time in Scotland.

1. Short-Term Study Visa
Student Visitor Visas are issued upon arrival in the UK, and allow students to study for a maximum of 6 months. The visa is free upon arrival.
You ARE eligible for the student visitor visa if:


  • You will be in the UK for less than 6 months
  • You do NOT plan to work or pursue an internship in the UK during your stay
  • You will not be extending your stay beyond 6 months

2. Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
Tier 4 (General) Student Visas are issued PRIOR to entry in the UK while you are still in the US, and allow students to study for more than 6 months or participate in an internship. Please note there is an extra fee for the Tier 4 visa.
Students ARE required to apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa if any of the following apply to you:



  • Your length of stay in the UK is 6 months or more
  • You will be participating in an internship in the UK
  • You will be participating in paid employment in the UK

Non-U.S. Citizens
If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need to check with your local embassy or consulate to verify entry requirements for the United Kingdom. As these requirements vary baed on citizenship, non-U.S. citizens may not be permitted to travel to the United Kingdom without a visa or outside of their visa dates. Also, visa fees for non-U.S. citizens may differ so please be sure to check your specific consulate's website for the most up to date information.


*If you are under 18 years of age when applying for your visa, additional paperwork may be required. Please contact the consulate immediately for more information.

Note: Embassy and consulate contact information is subject to change without notice. Please refer to the website of the embassy or consulate to verify information.